Foundation of the Friends

The first meeting of the Friends of Lambeth Palace Library took place on 9 June 1964, but its origins lie in conversations between Archbishop Ramsey and the then Librarian, Dr E.G.W. Bill (1958-1991) about how best to support the Library and to improve the collections.

The Friends was an instant success and soon new books and manuscripts began to be bought with the funds provided by the Friends. The help that they provided the Library was not limited to acquisitions, but eventually even extended to help in providing a new reading room and storage areas.

Return to the main exhibition home page